Thursday, April 13, 2006

Day 10: Robbie at baseball

Tonight I took our oldest to baseball practice. This is the first time he has ever played baseball and only the second practice. He has never been inclined toward sports - atleast not until the past year.

Toward the end of practice I overheard the following conversation as two of the boys on the team watched Daniel take his turn trying to pitch the ball (the first time he's ever stood on a pitchers mound and tried to pitch a ball...).

Boy 1: "That boy has a hearing disorder."
Boy 2: "So, what does that matter."
Boy 1: "I just thought maybe you didn't know. I'm not racist or anything."
Boy 2: "He's doing a great job."
Boy 2: Yelling at the top of his lungs - "Way to go! Great pitch! Keep up the good work!" As the ball stops in the dirt well short of the catcher.



Boy 2 is named Robbie. On Day 10 I'm extremely grateful for boys like Robbie.

No comments: