Monday, May 08, 2006

Day 35: Vickie

As I mentioned in Day 34's post, my mother was unable to be there with my sister during her husbands liver transplant. Vickie, my mother's dearest friend spent perhaps eight or ten hours at the hospital with my sister.

What I didn't mention yesterday was how much this act of loving kindness meant to me. While I didn't talk to Vickie about it, it seemed that because of Vickie's love for my mother and our family she was determined to do for my mother what she could not do herself. This was true friendship, unselfish love and sacrifice. She offered that same comforting and calming influence that my mother would have if she were there. She leant that same rock solid faith to all around. Several times it seemed that my mother was really there with us. We were all uplifted and strengthened by her presence.

What an amazing friend she is. I don't believe many are as blessed as my mother to have such a dear friend. I doubt that Vickie fully understands what she did for our family yesterday. I suspect it seemed like the most natural thing in the world to her to be there when her dear friend could not.

I have a deep love for Vickie. I thank her for her support to my family and for the friend that she is and has been to my mother. I thank her for exemplifying to me the following passage.

Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life— (Mosiah 18:9)

I'm grateful for Vickie.

No comments: