Tuesday, May 02, 2006

day 29: Kindness

Since I've started this blog I've spent a lot of time looking for things for which I am grateful. It has been a wonderful experience. One of the things I've noticed is the tremendous amount of kindness I see around me everyday.

People who have never met each other and may never meet each other again offer gentle acts of kindness to each other. They hold the door open at the convenience store. They let someone go first in line. They offer a smile or let someone merge into their lane. Someone drops something and another picks it up and returns it. Each of these acts seems small and simplistic yet I believe the cumulative effects are far reaching.

I'm not naive enough to believe that all people are kind to each other all of the time. I'd be happy if that were true just in my home, let alone in the world at large. I have however come to believe that kindness outweighs meanness.

So to everyone out there practicing kindness - Thank you! Thank you for your kindness to me and those that I love. Thank you for your kindness to each other. Thank you for your daily contribution toward brightening the world. I know that only the rare passer-by will read this post but don't let that diminish the sincerity of my gratitude to all kind people everywhere.

Imagine a world where everyone was kind to each other. What a wonderful world that would be.

No comments: