Thursday, June 15, 2006

Day 68: Getting Lost

I've been lost a few times in my life. I don't think I'd ever intentionally get lost but there is something to be said for the opportunity of finding your way back or being found. It can be a life changing experience.

I remember wandering for several hours one night in Dublin. Eventually I realized that I had no idea where I was. I was hungry and I needed to use the bathroom something fierce. I had dreams of finding some fine dining but my need for a bio-break found me walking into the first hole-in-the-wall grease pit I came across. I wasn't there for the food, but in hopes of finding a bathroom. It became clear that the bathroom was not for lost passers-by so I ordered the fish and chips and made a beeline to the bathroom.

I ate some so-so fish and chips and then asked the proprietor for directions back to my hotel. Boy was I relieved to get my bearings again.

Sometimes we aren't physically lost but mentally, emotionally, or spiritually lost. During these times it also feels great to get your bearings again. It is hard to appreciate how good it is to be 'not lost' until you've been lost.

No comments: