Sunday, June 11, 2006

Day 61: Ropes and Logs

There is something exciting to me about the proposition of building things out of ropes and logs. Over the years I've built all kinds of towers, tables, tripods, bridges, you name it. It never ceases to amaze me how three little sticks lashed together can hold so much. This past week I taught about 80 teenage boys the basics of building things with ropes and logs. Their final test at the end of our time together was to build a tripod and see if it could support the weight of a 300 pound football player that was there with us. I was amazed to see a small tripod built from sticks about 3/4 inch in diameter hold the 300 pound lineman.



Here's a couple of snapshots of a monkey bridge I built to show the boys what could be done and to let them have some fun during the camp.



No comments: